Local Nature Reserve
Until 2009, Langlands Moss WAS the only Local Nature Reserve in South Lanarkshire.
Section 21 of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949 (as amended) gives Scottish local authorities the power to acquire, declare and manage nature reserves. The responsibility for selecting, acquiring and making arrangements for management of these nature reserves lies with local authorities. However, under Section 21 (6) of the Act, Scottish Natural Heritage must be consulted when carrying out these functions.
During 1991/1992 a Phase 1 vegetation survey was undertaken throughout East Kilbride District. This survey highlighted that East Kilbride District was the sixth most important District in Britain for lowland raised peat bogs (a European conservation priory habitat type) and also identified Langlands Moss as a potential Local Nature Reserve.
At that time, half of Langlands Moss was covered with a commercial crop of conifer trees, planted in the 1960’s. Between 1992 and 1996 an intensive restoration programme was carried out under the auspices of the Scottish Wildlife Trust EU-funded ‘Raised Bog Conservation Project’. Restoration involved removal by helicopter of some 10,000 trees at a net cost of £32,000 and construction of 150 dams in surface drains.
Langlands Moss was declared a Local Nature Reserve in March 1996 by East Kilbride District Council. From April 1996, as part of the Local Government Reform, South Lanarkshire Council was born and inherited responsibility for the site.